HEALING FOR TATTOOS
Give Your Tattoo the best possible chance to heal.
- A tattoo normally takes about 7-10 days to heal.
- If you follow our suggestions we provide here, you have an excellent chance in making sure your tattoo will be the best it can be.
- Your tattooist will clean, dry and bandage your tattoo with cling wrap as it is an open wound.
- However after about 4-6 hours it is okay to remove the bandage.
- Preferably in the shower under lukewarm water (as hot water opens the pores which can result in colour loss).
- To remove any bodily fluids or remaining ink being careful not to scratch the fresh tattoo with your nails.
- When you have cleaned the area, make sure you thoroughly dry the tattoo as warm moisture in the open wound can become a breeding ground for infection.
- Unless you are exposing your tattoo to dirt, grease and other contaminants during the first 2-3 days, you do not need to re-bandage the tattoo.
- Care during the first week: Care is pretty simple thereafter.
- Use light non pore clogging products on the tattoo.
- Avoid sun exposure and swimming pools as this increases the risk of infection.
- Wear loose fitting clothing to avoid them sticking to the healing area.
- DO NOT PICK at the scab while it is healing.
- The skin will form an “onion peel” like a sunburn.
- Allow this to slough off naturally while bathing.
- When you shower avoid soaking the tattoo.
- You need to keep the area as dry as possible but do not dry the tattoo with a towel use paper towel or tissue.